Search This Blog

Thursday 9 May 2013

Mother's Day gift for Mother-In-Law --under $3!

A little while back I posted my $1 Mothers Day Gift for my mom (read it here).  Then, more recently, a Mothers Day gift idea from my daycare children to their moms (read it here). However, that does not get me off the hook for Mother's Day. I still have to come up with something affordable for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day.

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty good relationship with my in-laws. Sure, they drive me batty on occasion but let's be honest- so do my kids and I still love them! hahaha So I wanted to do something for my Mother-in-law that she would really like, but I also wasn't willing to break the bank on it or spend three weeks working away on a project.  Happily for me this gift is cheap (less than half of my typical $8 gift budget), quick and easy peasy.

This pretty brooch cost me less than $3 to DIY and I really think my MIL will love it.

Love it! So pretty 


I went to Fabricland and bought this pretty decorative button (although who would spend $5.49 per button on any garment save a wedding gown is totally beyond me!). There are quite a few styles of these sparkly decorative buttons/clasps  at Fabricland ranging in price from $3-$12 depending on size and design. Since I have a Fabricland discount card I get 50% off buttons. If you don't have a discount card, ask around. You likely know someone who does and its worth it to go shopping with them.
Pretty button

When we got home That Guy snipped the "button" loop off the back with....a tool...of some sort......**UPDATE: That Guy has notified me that he used wire cutters for this purpose**

Next, just add a little super glue to a brooch backing, press and done!
Brooch backings and super glue
The box of brooch backings were an on hand item. But originally their cost was $5 for 60 at Michaels Craft Store- of course I used a 40% off coupon.

Use a hole punch to punch two holes in a piece of card stock. Write a nice message on the card stock, add the pin and you have a great, fast, easy, inexpensive Mothers Day gift!

Happy Mothers Day, gentle readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment