Search This Blog

Tuesday, 15 October 2013

DIY Halloween wreath

My son Walter is getting pretty excited about Halloween. He even convinced his Nana and Papa to allow him to decorate their house for the occasion. When he came home after that there was no getting around decorating here too, he was too pumped!

However, many of our Halloween decorations seem to have been lost- which I imagine happened when we moved back in January. But of course I did not notice until now.  So off to the dollar store we went.  We picked up some spider webs and plastic crows. Walter really wanted to hang some plastic skeletons too. So we ended up buying four plastic skeletons.  All the excitement of the day must have taken its toll on the little guy (he is still four...) because by the time we got home with our "loot" he hung one skeleton and declared the house sufficiently decorated.

Slightly annoyed by his willingness to waste I was determined to make use of our decorations.  So That Guy went outside and strung the webs, positioned the crows and hung one skeleton on the front porch. But how many plastic skeletons does one house really need? Especially one house that is also a home daycare - in other words I am totally open to the whimsy of the holiday but I am not looking to frighten small children.

So I decided to make a wreath for our front door out of the remaining two  skeletons. Since they were $2 each this project came to a cost of $4.

One of the dollar store skeletons. 
 I was able to very easily pull apart the skeletons by hand.
disassembled skeletons
 Then That Guy cut the nubs off the bones with an Xacto knife.  The cake box is there to protect my floor from the knife. I was on the floor because.... well frankly I prefer to craft on the floor. Enough with the questions! ;)
Bye bye nubs
 Then I dry fit all the pieces together. Since the skulls already had plastic loops with strings for hanging in them I kept one in tact for the top of the wreath for easy hanging.  I asked That Guy to cut off the plastic loop from the other
Dry fit your wreath first

Next, with my trusty hot glue gun I glued all the bits together. 

 Then I hung it on our door!
The whole process, start to finish, took about 6 minutes with the majority of that time spent waiting for the hot glue gun to heat up.  Enjoy, gentle readers!

1 comment: